Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Spinning Beginning

This is one of the few homesteading skills that I still have yet to have mastered.  However, I have spent the past several weeks (almost months) searching for the "One" wheel that screams at me to "buy me!!" and find that in the process I am learning more about wheels and fiber than I ever really knew existed.  Of course, I am a connoisseur of wool yarns.  During my time making wool baby pants I managed to accrue a rather extensive and vivid array of types and color variations.  I could tell you straight off that a mohair blend would wear longer, but was a little rougher on the skin.  That Blue-Faced Leicester had a great sheen and durability.  That Merino was ultra-soft, but tended to pill much more severely.  Yet though my search for the perfect wheel, I am also learning about alternative fibers.

The one I am most anxious to try is Alpaca, yet there is also yak, silk, angora, mohair, llama, bison, qiviut, and so many others.  Even dog hair can be blended and spun, a tribute to a favorite pet.  Natural fibers tend to come in a variety of un-dyed colors, from white and silver, to browns and black.  Of course, I have to be difficult and look at raw fiber that will require a certain amount of processing to get it to the point of being able to spin.  The way I see things, I may as well start at the beginning.  While I am not able to keep any fiber animal larger than an Angora rabbit, I am determined to start with fiber as close to the animal as I possibly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment